According to the CDC:
- “One out of five falls causes a serious injury such as broken bones or a head injury.
- Each year, 3 million older people are treated in emergency departments for fall injuries.
- Over 800,000 patients a year are hospitalized because of a fall injury, most often because of a head injury or hip fracture.
- Each year at least 300,000 older people are hospitalized for hip fractures.
- More than 95% of hip fractures are caused by falling, usually by falling sideways.
- Falls are the most common cause of traumatic brain injuries (TBI).
- In 2015, the total medical costs for falls totaled more than $50 billion. Medicare and Medicaid shouldered 75% of these costs.” (“Important Facts about Falls.” Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 10 Feb. 2017, http://www.cdc.gov/homeandrecreationalsafety/falls/adultfalls.html.)
If you or someone you love has been injured as a result of a fall on an unnatural accumulation of ice, a defective condition or another’s negligent act, we may be able to help. Call Harper and Harper for your free, initial consultation at (219) 762-9538. If we take the case, you will be charged NO fee unless and until there is a recovery.